Wednesday, October 13, 2010

500 Million Friends

          Last weekend I finally got a chance to see The Social Network, which was without a doubt one of the best movies I have seen this year.  I found it fascinating to discover the story behind this website I use on a daily basis.  It seems as though even days after seeing the movie the story keeps on getting better and better as I replay it in my head. It continues to creep back into my mind and I find it hard to swallow that someone started all this my age.  Yes, I am aware that he was a student at Harvard and this all didn’t happen by accident but still the fact that a nineteen year old started a twenty five billion dollar company is truly incredible.
          As a whole I thought the movie was amazing but there were a few disappointing as well as ironic parts.  For example I was very disappointed that Mark Zuckerberg seems to be such an ego crazy as*hole, for lack of a better word.  Here’s someone that I feel should be looked up to for having such great ambitions at such a young age but after seeing his portrayal he is clearly not someone that anyone should aspire to be.   I am aware that this story entirely factual but wow, it was amazing, it seemed that every word that came out of his mouth was either an insult or some kind of cocky, arrogant, backstabbing remark.  The whole thing was so ironic that a website that keeps millions of people connected was started by someone who couldn’t connect with anyone.  In the movie Eduardo who is suing Zuckerberg states “I was your only friend”, unfortunately business and success were far more important to Zuckerberg than any friendship.  Who knows, maybe that inability to connect is what made him so successful.  These disappointing as well as ironic parts show that this wasn’t smooth sailing into a big pile of cash; there were disappointments, failures, and broken friendships along the way.  I think these aspects are what made the movie such a success.
          I would definitely suggest you take the time to go out and see this amazing story especially if you are a Facebook user, which, lets face it is pretty much everyone.  To give you a little perspective if Facebook were a country it would be the third largest in the world, that truly speaks for itself.  Check out this trailer for The Social Network and I promise that spending the ten dollars to see this film will definitely be worth you while. 

1 comment:

  1. It totally is ironic that the man that created Facebook was, himself, socially inept. I agree that that probably drove him to the extents he went to for the success of Facebook. During the summer, that trailer alone got me really excited to see this movie--I think it's the choir version of Radiohead.

    ReplyDelete